Tuesday, August 19, 2008

ABC Sale Part Three


We originally started having the ABC Sale for a little extra money to give to various charitable organizations within and outside our church. But, one year we had such beautiful furniture that we were inspired to improve on our own church decorating with some of the furniture and use some of the money for paint, window treatments and some art.

The benefits of a Rummage Sale are not just financial, though.
First, we are doing a service to our elderly who are trying to down-size---it gives them an excuse to clean out those closets and the basement.


Second, we are doing a service for the middle-aged--it gives them something meaningful to do and it's a great fellowship occasion.


Third, the youth become involved helping us with heavy loads, sorting and setting up and the big job of clean-up.


Fourth, we give all of the left-overs to charitable groups ranging from the Assistance League to Room at the Inn.


Fifth, we have funds to donate to our charities and to church groups for mission trips.


Sixth, it gives local people and families an opportunity to get great bargains and stretch their dollars.


Seventh, it helps us all recycle goods.


Eighth, it brings all sorts of people into the church. Some may be looking for a church home; some may come a few days later for some pastoral counseling and, yes, some my steal our soap dispensers. They will all get our prayers.


2 comments:

hear.t. and hue said...

Neat... amazing what people just donating their TIME & UNWANTED ITEMS can lead to. Looks like there'd be hardly any COST - just all PROFIT.

Leah Warren said...

I was wondering how that soap dispenser got into my bag...
(just joking)

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.